We are excited to launch our first Reconciliation Action Plan, the start of our formal journey of reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Our work here at EJA is concerned fundamentally with notions of justice, in particular environmental justice. That is, we seek to use the law to protect nature and defend the rights of communities to a healthy environment. Our vision of healthy, empowered communities depends upon a broader vision of a reconciled, just and healthy Australia.
This means it’s important to us that we set out our commitments to reconciliation and share them with our supporters and members. We thank Reconciliation Australia for their assistance and guidance over the past year in refining our RAP and providing their endorsement.
This is our first RAP and our staff, board, members and supporters all have responsibilities in helping us meet our goals, which include:
- Identifying Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander advisor(s) for our Reconciliation Action Plan Working Group.
- Identifying partner organisations who can assist us on our reconciliation journey.
- Providing staff and board members with access to cultural competency training.
- Providing opportunities for staff and board members to participate in cultural immersion with Traditional Owners.
- Keeping board members, staff and volunteers updated on achievements, upcoming activities and reconciliation related news.
- Encouraging all board members, staff, volunteers, members and supporters to participate in National Reconciliation and NAIDOC Week activities.
- Increasing the numbers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander volunteers and staff.
We are at a turning point in our history as a nation. Australia’s relationship with its Indigenous past and present is being widely re-evaluated. Through our Reconciliation Action Plan we have an opportunity to set the foundations for a constructive relationship with Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and histories.
We’re proud to be able to present to you our Reconciliation Action Plan.